Take the time you need to achieve true understanding
- Communicate what success looks like (onboarding, new job assignment, department goal, the vision)
- Probe for understanding (does the team member fully understand the expectation? If not, clarify again)
- Communicate any specific milestones that must be met, as well as any pertinent timelines
- Ask how your team member might go about achieving the expectation, in order to better understand how they think
- Ask questions that enable you to brainstorm possible steps together (be willing to see things from their perspective, rather than simply prescribing what you would do)
- Offer resources to support them
- Offer encouragement and your belief that the expectation will be executed well
- Schedule appropriate check-ins or set agreed upon deadlines for checking progress
Setting expectations is the quickest way to achieve the success you want, but often those expectations are implicit – it’s time to get them out into the open.
If you need more help with this, and are ready to transform your organizational culture in order to achieve even better results in 2022, I offer both a 6-month consulting program, as well as leadership-development workshops that will guide and support you and your team to address your most pressing people problems.
Book a 30-minute, no-obligation strategy session today to learn more.